Monday, May 16, 2011

Mercy Watson



I don't know if I have mentioned it yet on this blog, but I love Kate DiCamillo.  Or rather, I should say, I love Kate DiCamillo's writing.  She is able to capture people and situations in a way that is very real and that makes her writing very engaging.  She has a great section on her website that talks about her take on writing - and how writing is all about seeing the people and world around you and then transferring that to paper.   

So you can imagine my excitement when, awhile back, I saw that Kate DiCamillo had a series for early readers - the Mercy Watson series.  These books are great for "newly confident" early readers (they have some bigger words, so they are not for the newest beginners) or are also fun as short read-alouds for younger children.  My son (3) loves to listen to these and my daughter (5) has just begun reading the books and could not be more proud that she is reading a chapter book.  Not to mention one that she thinks is so funny.  

Mercy Watson is about a "porcine wonder" who lives with humans - Mr. and Mrs. Watson.  Mercy is a pig who loves tall mounds of buttered toast and sleeps in a bed inside the house.  Each story follows Mercy on an adventure - whether fighting crime, or driving a car Mercy is always getting into some kind of trouble.  The characters are funny and engaging and the stories will keep children laughing.  The books are illustrated by Chris Van Dusen and are colorful, fun and add to the humor of the text.  

There is a website for Mercy Watson that has word searches, games and information on the author and illustrator.  It is a fun website and a great companion to the text.  My daughter has been reading to me Mercy Watson Fights Crime and we only have two chapters left.  We can't wait to find out what happens  next.  

If you are on the search for good early readers - check out the Mercy Watson series.  We love them.  


2 comments:

Irene Latham said...

I'm so glad to read your review. I had been curious about this series, as I too am a fan of Kate's work. Will put in the hands of some new readers I know!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for adding this book review to Book Talk Tuesday! It is a great little book, I need to convince more kids to check it out! Make sure you see Bink & Gollie by DiCamillo- it is so funny!
Kelly